[Marxism] Fwd: 2016 Socially Relevant Film Festival previews: part one | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Feb 27 15:49:18 MST 2016

This is the first in a series of articles about some of the films
scheduled for this year’s Socially Relevant Film Festival that I have
been covering since its inception in 2014. This year I am proud to be on
its Documentary award jury. I must admit, however, that my tendency
would be to give a blue ribbon to everybody whose film is being shown in
SR 2016 since making such films as an alternative to much of the junk
receiving an Oscar tomorrow night is to be celebrated in and of itself.

As the founder of the SR film festivals, Nora Armani is blessed with an
uncommon ability to curate some of the most important films being made
today. As I have made clear in my survey of SR 2014 and SR 2015, these
are films that are focused on the real problems of ordinary people and a
welcome alternative to Cineplex escapism. It is not just that films
about refugees or oppressed nationalities demand your attention as
thinking and caring adults; it is that they are intensely dramatic as
the struggles of refugees and the victims of national oppression tend to be.

These are issues obviously very close to Nora Armani’s heart given her
Armenian ancestry. Indeed, she resolved to create such an annual film
festival to honor two relatives that were killed by religious fanatics
in Egypt. Given my strong identification with her artistic and social
mission, I thought it would be appropriate to start off with two films
about the Armenian genocide that were made a full century after it
occurred. After watching them, it dawned on me that they are not just
about a terrible crime committed against an innocent people. They also
help to shed light on the phenomenon of ethnic cleansing that is tearing
apart the social fabric of the Middle East and Anatolia today just as it
did a century ago and for the same reason: to create a “pure”
nation-state in whose name the elites can protect their own narrow class
interests using the kind of demagogy that Hitler made infamous.

full:
https://louisproyect.org/2016/02/27/2016-socially-relevant-film-festival-previews-part-one/