[Marxism] Hundreds of sexual assaults in Cologne - what the hell happened – any answers from German list members?

A.R. G amithrgupta at gmail.com
Sat Jan 9 12:14:14 MST 2016

I can't say I'm happy with the narrative Dennis is giving us. The author of
the Daily Beast article that has been posted is written by the head of an
anti-Muslim thinktank, Quilliam. Quilliam sports former Nazis and other
trashy anti-immigrant types. He has also co-written a book with anti-Muslim
"new atheist" Sam Harris. That may not negate his point of view but it
should be indicative of where his concerns lie.

The fact that men would carry out such a horrible act anywhere is
deplorable. But you'll notice how Nawaz is playing into the narrative that
the rape was something to do with culture.

For starters, many of the stories are exaggerated, mimicking the racialized
propaganda about the black rape threat to white women that was and still is
circulated by white supremacists. From what I can piece together from
accurate sources, there were 20-30 hooligans at a party of 1,000 people
that began groping and in some cases raping women. The only thing that made
it remotely about "culture" was the complexion of some of the attackers.

The rape reminded me of what goes on in Us fraternities, at some rock n
roll concerts, etc. It is gross and fucked up, and yet it appears that the
defining features of such incidents are young men in raucous environments
that do not respect women. Nawaz' comments about people in third workd
countries grabbing women as they like, outside of being a very strange
distortion, does not appear to have any relevance here other than to
suggest that when young Arab men behave as their white counterparts do,
that their heritage -- not widespread sexism in party and youth culture --
is blameworthy.

The simple reality is that North African societies, like most societies,
have deep-seated patterns of sexism, but those patterns do not exist in a
void. Incidents like the one in Cologne should not be used to drive this
kind of narrative.

--
- Amith