[Marxism] MRZine posts tweets attempting to spin Madaya mass starvation threat

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Jan 11 06:23:32 MST 2016

As most of you who follow this dreadful website probably know, there are
few if any serious analyses of Syria that appear there nowadays even
through Yoshie Furuhashi is a case-hardened supporter of Bashar
al-Assad. Instead she much prefers to retweet from like-minded people
who generally use tags rather than their real names, which gives the
practice a lack of transparency that obviously goes hand in hand with
support for a near-genocidal regime.

Today there's a retweet of one "Doloroso" who posts a picture of some
"jihadis" carrying trays of food with the caption "Have you ever seen a
hungry Jihadi?" Was the photo taken in Madaya? Who knows? This is not
that far from supporters of Assad taunting Madaya residents with
pictures of food.

As I have pointed out on many occasions, support for Assad has led to
degradation on the left. Mostly this has led to journalistic gaffes such
as Zizek relying on a bogus website for a New Statesman article that
they had to surgically correct.

But how does Doloroso's tweet deepen our understanding of what is
happening in Madaya? I am afraid that Yoshie's purpose was not to do
anything like that. Instead it was meant to obfuscate. Sick.