[Marxism] Fwd: Alan Rickman, Actor Known for ‘Harry Potter’ and ‘Die Hard,’ Dies at 69 - The New York Times

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Jan 14 20:42:09 MST 2016

At London’s Court Theater in 2005 he directed the play “My Name Is
Rachel Corrie,” about the young American protesting the demolition of a
Palestinian’s house in Gaza who was run over by an Israeli Army
bulldozer. The production was to transfer to the New York Theater
Workshop the following year, but was canceled; the group’s artistic
director, James C. Nicola, said that “the fantasy that we could present
the work of this writer simply as a work of art without appearing to
take a position was just that, a fantasy.”

Mr. Rickman was critical of the decision, calling it “censorship born
out of fear.” (The play was staged later that year at the Minetta Lane
Theater.)

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/01/15/obituaries/alan-rickman-dies-at-69.html