[Marxism] Kenan Malik on Charlie Hebdo, one year on

Philip Ferguson philipferguson8 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 18:58:29 MST 2016

"It is a year today since Islamist gunmen burst into the Paris office
of *Charlie
Hebdo*, killing 12 people, including eight of the magazine’s staff. A few
days after the attack I was interviewed by the BBC. ‘Don’t you think’, the
interviewer asked, ‘ that the degree of solidarity expressed towards*Charlie
Hebdo* represents a turning in attitudes to free speech?’ ‘I doubt it’, I
replied. ‘There may be expressions of solidarity now. But fundamentally
little will change. If anything, the killings will only reinforce the idea
that one should not give offence.’
full at
https://rdln.wordpress.com/2016/01/16/kenan-malik-on-charlie-hebdo-one-year-on/