[Marxism] Nora Connolly O'Brien

Philip Ferguson philipferguson8 at gmail.com
Fri Jan 15 20:47:21 MST 2016

I'm a strong admirer of hers and her conversation with CLR James gives a
glimpse into what a no-nonsense person she was.

She's never really received her due.

Part of this is due to the particularly sexist nature of the society that
was created after the 1921 Treaty.  And part of it is that in the major
political battle in which she was a key player - Republican Congress in the
mid-1930s - her main opponent, Peadar O'Donnell went on to be a famous
writer and leftist public intellectual.

I plan to write some kind of proper appreciation of her, but here's
something I wrote not long ago which argues she was right and O'Donnell
wrong in Republican Congress.  The piece is not all about her, because it's
in the context of a forum group being established bearing O'Donnell's name,
but folks might be interested:
https://theirishrevolution.wordpress.com/2013/03/14/new-peadar-odonnell-society-a-few-comments/

And here's a wee piece on her by eirigi:
https://theirishrevolution.wordpress.com/2014/07/11/nora-connolly-a-brief-note-on-her-life/#more-4408