[Marxism] Fwd: Carol | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Jan 17 13:10:15 MST 2016

This year publicists sent out three film screeners about the lives of
LGBT people for consideration by NYFCO in our December 2015 awards
meeting. One was “Tangerine”, a film that was distinguished technically
for having been made with IPhones but I could not even watch to
conclusion since it was undistinguished in every other way. It starred
transgender actress Kitani Kiki Rodriguez as a transgender prostitute
who is trying to track down her pimp in Los Angeles and take revenge for
him cheating on her. I found it amateurish, cartoonish and exploitative
despite the 96 percent Fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Moving right
along, there’s “The Danish Girl”, a biopic based on transgender artist
Lili Elbe who was the first man to ever undergo sexual reassignment
surgery. It was a high-minded affair that smacked of Merchant-Ivory and
hardly worth the 71 percent fresh rating it received on Rotten Tomatoes.

And then there is “Carol”, a film for the ages based on a Patricia
Highsmith novel about the love affair of two lesbians. A number of her
novels have been made into films, including the Hitchcock masterpiece
“Strangers on a Train”. “Carol” was based on her 1952 novel titled “The
Price of Salt” that appeared under the pseudonym Claire Morgan. Unlike
many films and novels about homosexuals or lesbians such as “Brokeback
Mountain”, Highsmith defied convention and gave her tale a happy ending.
Perhaps this was related to the fact that she was a lesbian herself but
just as easily could have been a function of her affection for outlaws
in her novels, most especially Tom Ripley, the shifty and resourceful
working class criminal of a number of her novels who aspires to join the
bourgeoisie and succeeds on its own terms.

full: http://louisproyect.org/2016/01/17/carol/