[Marxism] Richard Levins, R.I.P.?

Jim Farmelant farmelantj at juno.com
Fri Jan 22 10:09:00 MST 2016

https://www.facebook.com/TruthIsTheWhole/posts/807215896073345?fref=nf&pnref=story

Sad news regarding Professor Richard Levins

Dear GHP Community:

It is with sadness that I write to report the death yesterday of Professor Richard Levins, the John Rock Professor of Population Sciences in GHP. Dick died peacefully surrounded by family.
Dick earned his PhD from Columbia in 1965 and soon established himself as a leading scholar in the field of integrated population biology with the publication of his book, Evolution in changing environments: some theoretical explorations, in 1968. Over the course of his four decades at Harvard, Dick was unequaled in his ability to weave together seemingly disparate topics effortlessly, presenting practical theories on complex systems. We will miss his presence in the department and his voice in the field.

Last June, Dick was honored for his numerous contributions in a symposium in celebration of his 85th birthday. A number of former students and colleagues attended and shared fond memories and tributes. The School featured the event and Dick’s accomplished career in a recent article:
http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/news/features/finding-truth-in-the-whole/

A notice of Dick’s passing will go out from the Dean’s office to the School community shortly.
Our sympathies are extended to Dick’s family and close colleagues at this time of loss. We will share memorial arrangements as we receive them.
Best regards,

Jim Farmelant
http://independent.academia.edu/JimFarmelant
http://www.foxymath.com