[Marxism] Fwd: Anticapitalism can only be global in scope — the real purview of the “transition debate” | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Jan 22 10:13:58 MST 2016

In the course of writing about the Brenner thesis for the better part of
20 years, I have heard questions about the relevance of the debate to
contemporary politics—including I should add from myself. When I found
myself writing, for example, about the importance of the turnip in the
agrarian economy of 17th century England, I could not help but wonder if
I would be better off researching logging and ranching incursions into
indigenous regions of the Amazon rainforest instead. As it happens, Alex
Anievas and Kerim Nisancioglu, the authors of the monumentally important
and deeply researched “How the West Came to Rule”, have demonstrated in
their conclusion that the 17th century growth of capitalism worldwide
and today’s struggles are related. Not only that, in making this point
they also connect it with the need for a worldwide revolutionary party
that both forsakes petty and sectarian self-interests but returns to the
original vision of proletarian revolution as a global endeavor as this
excerpt makes clear.

full:
http://louisproyect.org/2016/01/22/anticapitalism-can-only-be-global-in-scope-the-real-purview-of-the-transition-debate/