[Marxism] A Palestinian speaks about leftist support for Assad

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Jan 24 06:47:38 MST 2016

Mohammed Sulaiman (on Facebook)

January 22 at 5:51pm ·
There are (white, mostly British and American) people who have so much
affection for the Syrian regime of Bashar Al-Assad in a way that leaves
me genuinely baffled. The extent to which they are so fond of Al-Assad
is shocking; they are so preoccupied with defending, whitewashing and
propagandising in defence of the Syrian genocidal dictatorship in a way
that reminds me of the Zionist propagandists on social media during the
past three onslaughts on Gaza-- particularly the last one in 2014. I was
surprised by how many they were, and how many of them were friends with
me on Facebook. Most of them are people I have never met, and seem to
have become my Facebook friends because I am a Palestinian from Gaza.
They do what they do because for them this isn't about Syria but rather
about Israel/Palestine. They somehow give themselves the legitimacy to
speak for Palestinians on the Syrian issue. To be honest, I was
completely disgusted by them that I decided to have no connection
whatsoever with the entire Palestine solidarity movement. Moreover, they
are not a minority there. It is no exaggeration to say that they
represent the official line amongst Palestine solidarity groups. All so
called pro-Palestine groups that do not take an official stance and
speak out publicly against the genocide in Syria are complicit because
they passively allow their voices to be hijacked by these deranged
people. Since the advent of the Syrian uprising, I haven't thought twice
about voicing full support for the people's struggle and as this
worsened and things became more complicated eventually descending into a
civil war, these people became all the more visible and their voices
became increasingly louder. They are so serious about what they do and
are willing to spends hours on end and participate in endless (futile)
discussions to recruit support for the Syrian regime and demonise the
Syrian people and all opposition groups. These people might appear as
innocuous, at first. One might think they are ignorant, but they are
not, and they read so much more about Syria than a lot of us do. They
are a dangerous bunch of dogmatic and arrogant ideologues who are not
interested in any way in learning about what is actually happening
there, and are deliberately shutting their eyes to the reality of the
Syrian question. They believe their knowledge and insight is superior
and is therefore incontestable. I have not hesitated to delete them from
my friends' list, and I urge you to do so.