[Marxism] For Karl Marx, writers of romance novels are productive workers

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Jan 25 10:08:49 MST 2016

On 1/24/16 1:08 PM, Louis Proyect wrote:
> "Milton, for example, who did Paradise Lost, was an unproductive worker.
> In contrast to this, the writer who delivers hackwork for his publisher
> is a productive worker."
>
> https://www.marxists.org/archive/marx/works/1864/economic/ch02b.htm

I am rereading some chapters in Maurice Dobb's "Studies in the
Development of Capitalism" to get a handle on this formal subsumption
business since Dobb is very good on the whole handicraft evolving into
industrial capitalism angle. Despite his reputation as being a precursor
to Brenner because of his famous debate with Paul Sweezy, Dobb was a
hell of a lot closer to Sweezy than he was to Brenner (as Brenner would
probably admit.)

In any case, I came across this fascinating reference in Dobb to the
origins of the word masterpiece that we would associate with John
Milton, Michaelangelo, Beethoven et al. It turns out that it was
originally a term used to describe a work submitted by a journeyman to
qualify for entry into a guild in Medieval days. Here's wikipedia:

"Originally, the term masterpiece referred to a piece of work produced
by an apprentice or journeyman aspiring to become a master craftsman in
the old European guild system. His fitness to qualify for guild
membership was judged partly by the masterpiece, and if he was
successful, the piece was retained by the guild. Great care was
therefore taken to produce a fine piece in whatever the craft was,
whether confectionery, painting, goldsmithing, knifemaking, or many
other trades."

Interesting to think that the word once used for a cake is now used
routinely for just about everything, including Hollywood movies.