[Marxism] A NZ communist visits Oakland

Philip Ferguson philipferguson8 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 25 18:34:51 MST 2016

by Don Franks

Earlier this month I took a trip to the States, to visit a musician friend
from Oakland.

When she drove me round her home neighbourhood, Amirh pointed out numerous
houses that had unwillingly been vacated in recent years. Live examples of
a burning issue for locals  – gentrification.

To long-term Oakland residents, “gentrification” means displacement of the
former working class residents, by means of rent rises and aggressive house
buy-ups.

Between 2000 and 2013 Oakland lost almost a quarter of its. . .
full at:
https://rdln.wordpress.com/2016/01/24/american-notes-oakland-workers-down-but-not-out/