[Marxism] Fwd: Town and Tawney | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Jan 27 09:40:43 MST 2016

As a follow-up to my articles on formal/real subsumption, I decided to
reread Maurice Dobb’s “Studies in the Development of Capitalism”, an
economic history of England that I remembered as a useful review of
class relations both in the city and countryside. Despite the tendency
to associate Robert Brenner with Dobb because both were involved with
debates with Paul Sweezy, there is little doubt that Dobb was a lot
closer to Sweezy. Indeed, Brenner wrote an article in 1978 titled “Dobb
on the transition from feudalism to capitalism” that faulted him for
giving too much credit to the towns.

For Brenner, Marxists—including Sweezy and Dobb—have overemphasized
trade, particularly between England and other nations. Naturally such
trade was what drove the growth of town and city, especially London,
since the import of spices, silk, precious metals etc. were key to the
handicrafts that emerged under feudalism and became the foundation for
formal subsumption. If such goods could be purchased cheaply and through
monopoly power, an accumulation of mercantile capital was the logical
outcome—that, at least, was the argument.

full: http://louisproyect.org/2016/01/27/town-and-tawney/