[Marxism] Fwd: “How the West Came to Rule”: a work for the ages | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Jan 31 14:35:01 MST 2016

When Jim Blaut succumbed to pancreatic cancer in 2000, he was denied the
possibility of completing the third and final installment in a series of
books about Eurocentrism. The first two—“The Colonizer’s Model of the
World” and “Eight Eurocentric Historians”—were polemical but scholarly
rebuttals to a wide range of thinkers, including Robert Brenner. The
third was intended to demonstrate that a different kind of history could
be written, one that gave the “people without history”—as Hegel put
it—their proper due. When I finished reading Alexander Anievas and Kerem
Nisancioglu’s “How the West Came to Rule: the Geopolitical Origins of
Capitalism” this week, I was left with the feeling that Blaut’s book had
finally been written.

full:
http://louisproyect.org/2016/01/31/how-the-west-came-to-rule-a-work-for-the-ages/