[Marxism] Fwd: Gorillas in captivity | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Jun 1 14:27:03 MDT 2016

Back in 1974, when I was living in Montrose, a Houston neighborhood that
was a vaguely bohemian mixture of gay bars and strip joints and that was
also home to the SWP headquarters, a comrade named Gene Lantz invited me
to go see the famous gorilla named Hugo who lived in a Montrose house.
Gene was one of the few local Texans we had recruited that sided with
the pro-Barnes majority I was sent down to reinforce. Most of the rest
were aligned with the minority that backed the Ernest Mandel faction
based in Europe and Latin America.

Since I was fascinated by the great apes at the time (and still am), I
decided to take him up on his invitation. We arrived in the living room
of a man named Charles B. Greer Jr. who was one of Montrose’s
“characters”. He had built a cage for Hugo abutting his living room, in
which the animal was sitting quietly near the rear. With a mischievous
smile on his face, Greer invited me to go up to the bars and take a look
in at Hugo. As soon as he saw me, he stood upright and charged directly
toward me like a football defensive lineman coming after a quarterback.
When he rammed into the reinforced bars of his cage, it sounded like a
bomb going off. This made Greer laugh out loud. It was obviously why he
enjoyed keeping a caged gorilla next to his living room—it was a good
practical joke to play on visitors. Hugo’s needs hardly entered the picture.

full: https://louisproyect.org/2016/06/01/gorillas-in-captivity/