[Marxism] Cedric Robinson has died

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Jun 6 06:14:36 MDT 2016

Richard Drayton on FB:

Cedric Robinson (age 75?) has just died. I first met him in his essay
"Capitalism, Slavery and Bourgeois Historiography" HWJ, 1987, 23:122-140
[I know the citation by heart, having sung it so many times to
students]. That essay is a brilliant and devastating attack on the many
misreaders of Eric Williams, showing the ideology underpinning David
Brion Davis et al's hostility to *Capitalism and Slavery*. I then
discovered Robinson's earlier major work **Black Marxism** (1983) -
which showed me how intellectual history could - or at least should!-
not be separated from organising a theoretical gaze on the contemporary
world. There and elsewhere he sharpened our attention on race as the
critical partner of class past and present. I never met him but admired
him profoundly.

"Black Marxism":
https://libcom.org/files/Black%20Marxism-Cedric%20J.%20Robinson.pdf