[Marxism] Tankies?

Andrew Pollack acpollack2 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 14 11:20:56 MDT 2016

If, like me, you've used the term in discussions around Syria and been
asked by youth what it means, send them along to this:

https://www.marxists.org/archive/norman/hungary/index.htm

... which is the HTML version of Hugo Dewar and Daniel Norman, "Revolution
and Counter-Revolution in Hungary," prepared by our friend Paul Flewers.

I mention this today because MIA has just posted e-pub versions of that and
other Hugo Dewar works:

https://www.marxists.org/ebooks/index.htm

p.s. Not only does Dewar do a great job of skewering Stalinist policies and
actions, but it's full of classic tankie rationalizations, apologias,
self-justifications, etc., all of which should sound very familiar from
today's debates with the campists.

And of course on this topic don't miss Paul's own book on the phenomenon,
"The New Civilization?"