[Marxism] LAST CALL for the IMPERIALISM study group

Philip Ferguson philipferguson8 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 17 01:01:31 MDT 2016

At present the study group involves people in five countries, but a couple
more people would still be manageable. We'll be starting at the beginning
of July, which coincides with the 100th anniversary of the publication of
Lenin's 'Imperialism'.

Tony Norfield has suggested the following key aspects to be explored over
the course of the study:

- what kinds of monopoly in the world economy?
- what is the form taken by the export of capital - and is that even a key
feature of contemporary imperialism?
- how can we understand 'finance capital' and the 'financial oligarchy'?
- for Lenin, banks had a 'new role'. Is there another new role?
- imperialism and colonialism; how is the world divided up today?
- the post-1945 boom and how this relates to the 'parasitism and decay' of
capitalism
- a 'labour aristocracy'? Or the mass of people in rich countries
benefiting from the exploitation of others?
- the modern critique of imperialism, for example, the left calling for
their state to fix things, nationalise banks, etc. . .

To get in on the studies, email redlinemarxists at gmail.com