[Marxism] Jo Cox obituary: Respected Syria campaigner who brought wisdom from the world’s war zones.

andrew coates pabs47 at hotmail.com
Fri Jun 17 08:45:39 MDT 2016

Jo Cox obituary: Respected Syria campaigner who brought wisdom from the world’s war zones.
>From Labour List.

Jo Cox quickly earned a reputation as a first-class Labour MP after making a string of principled interventions on major issues such as Syria, violence in the Middle East and international development.
The mother-of-two, who died today after a brutal attack outside her constituency surgery, was elected to the Commons in May 2015. In just 13 months as an MP she achieved much and will, perhaps, be best remembered for her work on war-torn Syria. Last year she abstained on the key parliamentary vote on whether Britain should bomb the ravaged nation as much of the rest of the PLP engaged in a deep split.
But Cox’s understanding of the Middle East went back many years and reflected her time working for Oxfam, in some of the world’s major troublespots, as well as serving as the aid charity’s head of humanitarian campaigning in New York.
“I’ve been in some horrific situations where women have been raped repeatedly in Darfur, I’ve been with child soldiers who have been given Kalashnikov and kill members of their own family in Uganda,” Cox told theYorkshire Post last year.
More:
http://labourlist.org/2016/06/jo-cox-respected-syria-campaigner-who-has-brought-insights-from-the-worlds-war-zones/
Jo Cox was deeply loved.