[Marxism] Fwd: Putting Ben Norton under a microscope | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Jun 18 09:00:20 MDT 2016

When I visited the Verso office in Brooklyn for a panel discussion on
Rosa Luxemburg last August, I ran into someone named Ben Norton who I
knew vaguely as a critic of the crude “anti-imperialism” that had swept
across the left like the BP spill in the Gulf of Mexico. We chatted
briefly about our shared political values and his latest career move,
which was joining Salon.com as a staff member. I thought this was a
welcome addition to a magazine that featured Patrick L. Smith, one of
the worst propagandists for the Assad dictatorship to be found anywhere.

I never would have expected that within six months Norton would end up
in the Smith/Cockburn/Fisk camp writing articles reinforcing the
dominant narrative on the left that the USA was bent on “regime change”
and that the Syrian rebels were reactionary jihadists engaged in a proxy
war launched by the West against its perceived enemies in the region.

full:
https://louisproyect.org/2016/06/18/putting-ben-norton-under-a-microscope/