[Marxism] Fwd: Turkey-Russia rapprochement - Yahya Bostan - Daily Sabah

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Jun 22 06:49:52 MDT 2016

In recent months, Turkish leaders had made it clear that they would like
to leave the dispute with Russia behind them. To facilitate
rapprochement, a high-level Turkish delegation recently visited Moscow
and shared Turkey's side of the story. At the same time, President Recep
Tayyip Erdoğan on multiple occasions stated that it made little sense
for Turkey and Russia to let a Russian pilot's mistake derail mutually
beneficial relations.

http://www.dailysabah.com/columns/yahya_bostan/2016/06/20/turkey-russia-rapprochement

Eight Syrian refugees have been shot dead by Turkish border guards as
they tried to escape war-torn northern Syria, a human rights watchdog
has claimed.

Three children, four women and one man were killed on Saturday night,
according to the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights. It said a total of
60 Syrian refugees had been shot at the border since the start of the year.

Six of this weekend’s casualties were from the same family, said the
observatory’s founder, Rami Abdelrahman. “I sent our activists to
hospital there, we have video [of the corpses], but we haven’t published
it because there are children [involved],” he said.

The Local Coordination Committees, a network of activists inside Syria,
supported the claim, reporting that one of the children was as young as six.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/jun/19/turkish-border-guards-kill-eight-syrian-refugees-reports