[Marxism] Fwd: A Conversation with Samar Yazbek

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Jun 23 05:27:33 MDT 2016

Q: I’ll put the question differently – because the answer is important
to many categories of Syrians, who may be more numerous than they are
believed to be: why has the shuddering earthquake altered the principles
of so many Syrians, but not of the group you are talking about?

A: I think that the crimes and violence that people have been subjected
to would have easily been enough to turn them all into monsters, but
this has not happened across the board. That was proved by what happened
recently during the short truce, when groups of Syrian people went back
to protesting and abandoned the black flag, raising the revolutionary
flag instead. I see the movement of history within its temporal context,
within the movement of historical groups, and within the circumstances
of the production of violence itself. Those people did not simply give
in to reactions: new circumstances were created in their lives, and
these were circumstances that triggered certain things in their lives.
The violent conditions have not arisen spontaneously, whether it be
arming the Islamist groups, or the introduction of immigrant fighters
into Syria, or the impoverishment of the Free Syrian Army and the
assassination of its senior leaders, or the distribution of Islamic
brigades or Daesh across the map, or the various movements that I can no
longer keep track of – as I think many of us no longer can – and their
chaotic prevalence, and the rise of mercenaries. And also the climate
was perfect for all of this to unfold, after half a century of despotic
rule by the Assad family and the unprecedented barbaric violence to
which the Syrian people have been subjected.

full:

http://aljumhuriya.net/en/culture-politics/possible-political-action-a-conversation-with-samar-yazbek-1-of-2

http://aljumhuriya.net/en/culture-politics/a-conversation-with-samar-yazbek-2-of-2