[Marxism] The Left on Brexit

Carl G. Estabrook galliher at illinois.edu
Sun Jun 26 07:46:58 MDT 2016

A thoroughly establishment historian makes the best Left case I saw for Leave - and cites Marx and Engels:

https://www.dissentmagazine.org/online_articles/left-case-brexit <https://www.dissentmagazine.org/online_articles/left-case-brexit>

The point Tuck (and Marx) makes about the function of constitutions by (US & EU) is supported by James Madison:

"In England, at this day, if elections were open to all classes of people, the property of landed proprietors would be insecure. An agrarian law [redistribution of property] would soon take place. If these observations be just, our government ought to secure the permanent interests of the country against innovation. Landholders ought to have a share in the government, to support these invaluable interests, and to balance and check the other. They ought to be so constituted as to protect the minority of the opulent against the majority. The senate, therefore, ought to be this body; and to answer these purposes, they ought to have permanency and stability.” --James Madison (1787-06-26) as quoted in "Notes of the Secret Debates of the Federal Convention of 1787" by Robert Yates