[Marxism] Fwd: Secretly seduced by science, Hasidic atheists lead a double life | Aeon Essays

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Jun 26 17:26:39 MDT 2016

Solomon is one of hundreds, perhaps thousands, of men and women whose
encounters with evolution, science, new atheism and biblical criticism
have led them to the conclusion that there is no God, and yet whose
social, economic and familial connections to the ultra-Orthodox and
Hasidic communities prevent them from giving up the rituals of faith.
Those I spoke to could not bring themselves to upend their families and
their children’s lives. With too much integrity to believe, they also
have too much to leave behind, and so they remain closeted atheists
within ultra-Orthodox communities. Names and some places have been
changed – every person spoke to me for this story on condition of
anonymity. Part of a secret, underground intellectual elite, these
people live in fear of being discovered and penalised by an increasingly
insular society.

full:
https://aeon.co/essays/secretly-seduced-by-science-hasidic-atheists-lead-a-double-life