[Marxism] Brexit and Labour Party crisis in twitterdom

marinercarpentry at gmail.com marinercarpentry at gmail.com
Mon Jun 27 15:48:07 MDT 2016

Hi Gary,

I went to the protest tonight; at about 7 o’clock when I left I think it would be more accurate to say there was more like 1,000 people there.

(As I’m sure you’re aware) there’s an argument Corbyn has lost support due to the lacklustre campaign he ran to stay in the EU. The counter argument is that Corbyn’s reserved endorsement for remain was more in tune with a sceptical Labour base than many of his MPs (who painted the EU as a land of milk, honey and worker’s rights). It’s completely conceivable Corbyn did lose some support from some of his young supporters who were overwhelmingly in favour of remaining. But his mandate was such it is unlikely that it has made much difference (given the lack of support the others received). And so its also unlikely that this coup will be successful. But I’m beyond doubtful this has translated into much public support outside of the membership – I.e. in terms of Corbyn being able to win a general election – and the likelihood is we may well face a snap election this year to give Cameron’s successor a proper mandate to negotiate Brexit and, most likely, reboot Osborne’s austerity programme.

Jamie

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

From: Gary MacLennan via Marxism