[Marxism] Fwd: The Sudanese Role in Libya 2011 | Reinventing Peace

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Nov 1 10:13:11 MDT 2016

"During the Gaddafi era, Libya supported the Darfur rebel movements, and
had also greater ambitions in the Darfur region."

https://sites.tufts.edu/reinventingpeace/2012/12/17/the-sudanese-role-in-libya-2011/

One of the things I have been learning from reading "The Libyan
Revolution and Its Aftermath", edited by Peter Cole and Brian McQuinn,
is what a tangled mess it was--even more so than Syria in some ways.

Sudan, generally regarded as a BRICS stalwart and whose president Omar
al-Bashir is condemned by Human Rights Watch, supported the overthrow of
Gaddafi who had taken up the cause of George Clooney's favorite rebels.

I might remind you that Iran and Hizbollah favored the overthrow of
Gaddafi.

Not only that, Sarkozy's favorite Libyan rebel was Mahmoud Jibril, who
was not only Gaddafi's minister of economic planning before 2011 who
pushed for neoliberalization but Gaddafi's son Saif's best friend.