[Marxism] Fwd: “Spoilers”? Well, I Should Hope So!

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Nov 2 04:49:02 MDT 2016

By Mark Lause

The 2016 election has plumbed new depths in its celebration of
ignorance, bigotry, and crudely Robber Baron self-interest . . . . In
the end, the media that now refers to this as “a dumpster fire”
accumulated the garbage and set it on fire. Although Donald Trump rants
about the alleged ideological bias of the industry, he has always been
entirely its creature. The idiocies and arrogance of this reality show
celebrity have been grown viewers. The industry never cared whether
those tuning in detested or admired him, so long as they grew in numbers
and continued to goose gooses advertising revenues. So as the election
year neared, we saw him on TV repeatedly talking about Barack Obama’s
birth certificate.

We have an election process that imposes nothing on the candidates.
This time ’round, it doesn’t even seem to require any of the usual
hollow promises. The winner–whether it’s Trump or Hillary Clinton–will
have no mandate from the voter to pursue any particular set of policies
or approaches. We are supposed to pick the most comforting image and
sound bites, while leaving it to the armies of corporate lobbyists
occupying Washington to determine what they will mean in terms of
policies. It’s so efficient to exclude the electorate from any real
voice and run the entire thing like it was the Super Bowl or the World
Series.

So, we wouldn’t want to spoil that, would we?

full: http://www.thenorthstar.info/?p=12926