[Marxism] Interesting comments on IF Stone and The Nation from Richard Estes

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Nov 4 12:57:12 MDT 2016

"Rolling Stone is not exactly a bloodied but unbowed radical voice. It
is basically a lifestyle magazine that aspires to be the college
freshmen’s Esquire."

As you probably know, Jann Wenner and Ralph Gleason deliberately refused
to adopt the radical politics of the underground left when they launched
Rolling Stone. The subsequent publication of Hunter Thompson's articles
can thus be considered an effort to retain the allure of an underground
press publication without the politics.

"Reaching the bottom of the barrel is Michael Moore, who states that
there is a direct line between him and I.F. Stone notwithstanding this
millionaire’s deep embedding within the Democratic Party and his most
recent slavering over Hillary Clinton in the feckless documentary
“Michael Moore in TrumpLand”."

Moore really is becoming the Don King of the left.

"When a new issue arrived in my mailbox, the first page I always turned
to contained Alexander Cockburn’s “Beat the Devil”. With the wars in
Central America heating up, his blistering attacks on Ronald Reagan were
as valuable to me as Stone’s on Vietnam."

The relationship between Cockburn and The Nation is worth a documentary
all its own, particularly as the relationship soured as a consequence of
The Nation's accommodation with Clinton and the Democratic Party.

"I suffered through it because I think that the left has to contend with
The Nation baring its fangs on behalf of a Hillary Clinton vote."

Yes, The Nation will be in the vanguard of defending a President
Clinton, especially her probable neoconservative, militaristic foreign
policy. Melissa Harris-Perry's defense of Obama's drone strikes is a
foreshadowing of it.

But, I.F. Stone. I remember him from my childhood. It is impossible to
overstate his journalistic bravery and integrity. Actually, if there is
a publication that most closely aligns with his values, it is
Shadowproof, launched by Kevin Gosztola and Brian Sonenstein, among
others. Gosztola is the closest thing to a contemporary Stone.