[Marxism] Fwd: The Democratic Party establishment is finished after Trump.

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Nov 9 06:38:38 MST 2016

The Democrats will now control next to nothing above the municipal
level. Donald Trump will be president. We are going to be unpacking this
night for the rest of our lives, and lives beyond that. We can’t
comprehend even 1 percent of what’s just happened. But one aspect of it,
minor in the overall sweep, that I’m pretty sure we can comprehend well
enough right now: The Democratic Party establishment has beclowned
itself and is finished.

I think of the lawmakers, the consultants, the operatives, and—yes—the
center-left media, and how everything said over the past few years
leading up to this night was bullshit.

The midterm losses? That was just a bad cycle, structurally speaking;
presidential demographics would make up for it. The party establishment
made a grievous mistake rallying around Hillary Clinton. It wasn’t just
a lack of recent political seasoning. She was a bad candidate, with no
message beyond heckling the opposite sideline. She was a total misfit
for both the politics of 2016 and the energy of the Democratic Party as
currently constituted. She could not escape her baggage, and she must
own that failure herself.

Theoretically smart people in the Democratic Party should have known
that. And yet they worked giddily to clear the field for her. Every
power-hungry young Democrat fresh out of law school, every rising
lawmaker, every old friend of the Clintons wanted a piece of the action.
This was their ride up the power chain. The whole edifice was hollow,
built atop the same unearned sense of inevitability that surrounded
Clinton in 2008, and it collapsed, just as it collapsed in 2008, only a
little later in the calendar. The voters of the party got taken for a
ride by the people who controlled it, the ones who promised they had
everything figured out and sneeringly dismissed anyone who suggested
otherwise. They promised that Hillary Clinton had a lock on the
Electoral College. These people didn’t know what they were talking
about, and too many of us in the media thought they did.

http://www.slate.com/articles/news_and_politics/politics/2016/11/the_democratic_party_establishment_is_finished_after_trump.html