[Marxism] Fwd: National Bird; Finding Kukan | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Nov 9 15:13:22 MST 2016

Opening at the Cinema Village on Friday, “National Bird” has the
distinction of having Wim Wenders and Errol Morris sharing credits as
Executive Producer. With these two very respected filmmaking veterans on
board this documentary about Predator drones, I decided to give it a
shot despite the theme. Recent viewings of the narrative film “Good
Kill” on cable TV had inured me against any film dramatizing the
“suffering” of men and women who sit behind the consoles in
air-conditioned trailers while they direct missile attacks on Afghans,
Pakistanis, Somalis and anybody else that gets in the way of American
foreign policy objectives. Somehow, the sight of Ethan Hawke drowning
his sorrows in booze after a day of blowing up wedding parties left me
wondering why anybody would bother trying to develop sympathy for such
killers.

Suffice it to say that Wenders and Morris showed their film acumen by
becoming involved with this project since “National Bird” is the
definitive take on the kind of postmodern warfare that is the hallmark
of the Obama administration and that will likely continue if not expand
under the “isolationist” Trump administration.

full: https://louisproyect.org/2016/11/09/national-bird-finding-kukan/