[Marxism] Chris Hedges: Trump Will Crush Dissent With Even Greater Violence and Savagery - TheRealNews

Ralph Johansen mdriscollrj at charter.net
Fri Nov 11 10:22:42 MST 2016

Mark Lause wrote

If we take what Trump and his supporters said and are saying on face
value, they are more concerned about going after what they see as the
privileged "liberal" elites who have gotten special privileges under the
law--"crooked Hillary," etc.  I think that even the officials of this
incoming administration have to realize that that's a can of worms.
Like most of Trump's more disturbing rhetoric, it was made for effect.
Actually doing something to threaten the traditional structures of power
or the now-traditional exemptions of ruling class people from
prosecution for criminal activities would encourage sections of the
ruling class itself to pull the plug.

We have plenty of more tangible realities we need to worry about without
borrowing troubles that haven't come up yet.

In general, we should take the advice of General U.S. Grant and not
worry what the enemy might do to us and start planning what we're going
to do to them..

ML
Dunno for sure, Mark, but there's much reason there. Consider the
likelihood: have you ever heard John Bolton's rant? Did you see Gingrich
calling for a new House on Un-American Activities
Committee?https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GU0JD7eKhY @ 153? Rudy
Giuliani the Manhattan street sweeper for Attorney General? The chair of
the House Home Security committee calling for shutdown of the internet,
which other authoritarian regimes have been doing, citing security
concerns? Or a rabid right born again v.p. who is a close Cheney
associate? David Clarke the Black Milwaukee sheriff who furiously
condemns Black Lives matter and advises that constituents arm
themselves? What Trump's SCOTUS selection will mean for the further
gutting of the Bill of Rights? What racism, tax cuts, climate denial and
reversal, Springs springing globally, the probabilities of an unstable
currency, a collapsing economy and a whole pile of intractable
challenges will mean for an inexperienced president and his
hastily-selected team in terms of global stability and the level of
protests? The president's killer list? What he will face in the reaction
to the US ringing Russia and China with bases and warships and missile
sites and ratcheting tension with use of the currency, the tariff and
market monopoly to destabilize? Assuming chaos ain't chicken little
anymore. Not that anyone has what it takes to run an
imperialist/capitalist regime with what faces us, but he's off to a most
ominous start, It isn't whether he's reluctant to disturb the structures
of power, it's what is beyond his power, or anyone's power, that should
worry us. And if it was just his rhetoric that would be something else.

---