[Marxism] Fwd: Can Trump Save Their Jobs? They’re Counting on It - The New York Times

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Nov 12 08:29:46 MST 2016

By the time the Chicago Cubs won the World Series for the first time in
108 years this month, Paul Roell was already asleep. He did not stay up
to see Barack Obama win the presidency in 2008, or watch in 2000 as the
margin of votes separating George W. Bush and Al Gore in Florida shrank
to the vanishing point.

After all, he has to clock in daily at 5:30 a.m. at the
soon-to-be-shuttered Carrier factory here, where he has worked 17 years.

But shortly before 3 a.m. Wednesday, when the networks projected that
Donald J. Trump would be the next president of the United States, Mr.
Roell was wide awake. His wife, Stephanie, was up, too, and they
exchanged high fives in the wee hours.

In fact, Mr. Roell was so keyed up, he did not sleep at all that night
and headed straight to the plant before sunrise, bleary-eyed but
euphoric. “I don’t watch sports, but this was my World Series,” he said.

It is precisely this level of enthusiasm, from Mr. Roell and millions of
like-minded Americans, that pollsters and the campaign of Hillary
Clinton did not appreciate, even though it was vividly on display in
February after a video went viral showing furious Carrier workers here
learning from management that their jobs would be going abroad.

Carrier’s decision to move the factory to Monterrey, Mexico, will
eliminate 1,400 jobs by 2019. Mr. Trump quickly made the factory Exhibit
A in his argument against the trade policies of Republicans and
Democrats alike.

He cited Carrier again and again on the campaign trail, threatening to
phone executives at the company and its parent, United Technologies, and
to hit them with 35 percent tariffs on any furnaces and air-conditioners
they imported from Mexico. To the cheers of his supporters, he predicted
at rallies that Carrier would call him up as president and say, “Sir,
we’ve decided to stay in the United States.”

Now his supporters expect action. “If he doesn’t pass that tariff, I
will vote the other way next time,” warned Nicole Hargrove, who has
worked at Carrier for a decade and a half and is not certain what she
will do if and when her job goes to Mexico.

full:
http://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/13/business/economy/can-trump-save-their-jobs-theyre-counting-on-it.html