[Marxism] Fwd: A Rabah Ameur-Zaïmeche retrospective | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Nov 12 16:50:23 MST 2016

In this article I want to call your attention to the Rabah
Ameur-Zaïmeche retrospective that began on November 1 at the French
Institute Alliance Française (FIAF) in New York that runs until December
13. Unfortunately, I wasn’t able to view the screeners before now so the
November 1 feature is only included to give you a sense of the breadth
of this Algerian director’s body of work. Totally unknown to me before
this week, I would now include him as among the more important
filmmakers on the scene today—an equal to the Dardenne brothers, Nuri
Bilge Ceylan and Jafar Panahi. If you are familiar with these directors,
you would know that this is high praise. Born fifty years ago in Beni
Zid, Algeria, he grew up in France. But like other Algerian immigrant
filmmakers, his focus is very much on the Algerian experience.

full:
https://louisproyect.org/2016/11/12/a-rabah-ameur-zaimeche-retrospective/