[Marxism] Leezza, Leezza, Leezza

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sun Nov 13 16:16:01 MST 2016

By the middle of the first decade of the twenty-first century, little of
Qaddafi's world-view would have been recognizable to the young officer
of 1969. Qaddafi's interpreter of world events, Dr. Ahmed Fituri (the
Secretary for the Americas in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs) had begun
to write summaries of new books for the leader. It tells you something
about a person if you know what they are reading. Qaddafi enjoyed the
work of Newsweek's International editor, Fareed Zakaria (his The Future
of Freedom and The Post American World), of Thomas Friedman (The World
is Flat), of George Soros (The Age of Fallibility) and importantly, the
Foreign Affairs essays of Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice (he kept a
scrapbook of pictures and writings of Rice in his compound, in which one
finds the bizarre statement, "I admire and am very proud of the way she
leans back and gives orders to the Arab leaders.... Leezza, Leezza,
Leezza. I love her very much. I admire her and I'm proud of her because
she's a black woman of African origin"). When Obama won the 2008
election, Qaddafi wrote a personal letter to him (November 9, 2008) in
which he drew his own conclusion about the election, "The main point is
that Blacks shall not have an inferiority complex and imitate the
Yankees." The presence of Rice and Obama in the leadership of the
Atlantic states seemed to allow Qaddafi to make that journey from
revolutionary nationalism to obedience to the imperial capitals. As
African Americans, Rice and Obama provided cover for American
repression, allowing the ersatz nationalist to take his place happily
beside them.

Vijay Prashad, "Arab Spring, Libyan Winter"