[Marxism] Fwd: Arrival | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Nov 15 09:45:14 MST 2016

Since “Arrival” opened only last Friday at my local Cineplex, I was
rather surprised to see no more than 5 or 6 people in the theater last
night for the 10:15 show. Given its 93 percent Fresh rating on Rotten
Tomatoes, I expected to see hundreds instead. The first thing that
entered my mind was that the word-of-mouth on the film was probably not
very good.

After settling in with my wife, it was obvious that the common folk were
smarter than the critics who fell all over themselves praising the film
to the skies. After 20 minutes or so, my wife turned to me and
whispered, “Do you like this?” I told her I did even though my main
motivation was to stick it out to the bitter end since this was one of
those overhyped films I owe it to my readers to avoid paying good money
on. I encouraged her to return to our apartment and watch something on
the Bravo network that would have been far more intelligent than this
metaphysically obscure science fiction yarn.

I was hoping for something approaching “Close Encounters of the Third
Kind” or “The Day the Earth Stood Still” but the film had much more in
common with Christopher Nolan’s “Interstellar”, a film not at all about
space aliens but about space-time continuum anomalies—the sort of thing
that Star Trek fans adore. You know, like when Captain Kirk goes into
the past to advise his younger self. (Yawn.)

full: https://louisproyect.org/2016/11/15/arrival/