[Marxism] Fwd: 2016 election: Why the white working class ditched Clinton - CNN.com

Mark Lause markalause at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 08:37:13 MST 2016

The idea that Trump won "the white working class" seems a bit of
reductionism popular in many quarters of the punditry and the professoriat,
but I've honestly not seen a lot of hard data on the subject . . . and does
not jibe well with what I've seen among the people I know and have known
for many years.  I'm wondering if this is due to the American cultural
habit of becoming self_lobotomized when the subject of "class" comes up.

Certainly, the divides of race and gender are clear enough, though we have
to allow for some noteworthy exceptions, particularly among women.  The
most stark distinctions seem to be between the predispositions of voters in
the cities and larger towns vs. those in smaller towns and rural areas,
with all groups favoring Trump in these latter areas and not in the
former.  This distinction recalls something historians have noticed about
political divisions at critical points in the past.  As the results were
being mapped, I couldn't help but think of Jackson Turner Main's old book
_Political Parties before the Constitution_, which persuasively argued for
divisions older and deeper than political parties between what he called
"cosmopolitans" and "localists."  From this perspective, the punditry today
talking about responses to "globalization," are trying to relabel a much
deeper distinctions . . . as they did earlier by labeling opponents of
American imperialism as "isolationist."

Anything that appears as a trope in these discussions merits serious
skepticism.

Solidarity!
Mark L.