[Marxism] Fwd: The Story Behind Jared Kushner’s Curious Acceptance into Harvard - ProPublica

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Nov 18 17:22:52 MST 2016

I would like to express my gratitude to Jared Kushner for reviving
interest in my 2006 book, “The Price of Admission.” I have never met or
spoken with him, and it’s rare in this life to find such a selfless
benefactor. Of course, I doubt he became Donald Trump’s son-in-law and
consigliere merely to boost my lagging sales, but still, I’m thankful.

My book exposed a grubby secret of American higher education: that the
rich buy their under-achieving children’s way into elite universities
with massive, tax-deductible donations. It reported that New Jersey real
estate developer Charles Kushner had pledged $2.5 million to Harvard
University in 1998, not long before his son Jared was admitted to the
prestigious Ivy League school. At the time, Harvard accepted about one
of every nine applicants. (Nowadays, it only takes one out of twenty.)

I also quoted administrators at Jared’s high school, who described him
as a less than stellar student and expressed dismay at Harvard’s decision.

“There was no way anybody in the administrative office of the school
thought he would on the merits get into Harvard,” a former official at
The Frisch School in Paramus, New Jersey, told me. “His GPA did not
warrant it, his SAT scores did not warrant it. We thought for sure,
there was no way this was going to happen. Then, lo and behold, Jared
was accepted. It was a little bit disappointing because there were at
the time other kids we thought should really get in on the merits, and
they did not.”

full:
https://www.propublica.org/article/the-story-behind-jared-kushners-curious-acceptance-into-harvard