[Marxism] Fwd: Denial: David Irving versus Deborah Lipstadt | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Nov 19 13:31:04 MST 2016

As I stated in my review of “Barry” on Counterpunch, this is the time I
begin to receive those middle-brow films that Hollywood studios submit
for consideration to members of New York Film Critics Online for our
annual awards meeting in early December. Like “Barry”, “Denial” is just
one of those films—a holocaust movie that is inevitably greeted as an
object of reverence. It deals with the Deborah Lipstadt-David Irving
trial that took place in England twenty years ago and that was now a
blur in my mind even if I certainly understood that the film would
depict holocaust denier David Irving as a villain. I also understood
that he would get his comeuppance in the film just as happened in the
actual trial.

My aversion to holocaust movies was like that of British playwright
David Hare who once wrote:

	I have no taste for Holocaust movies. It seems both offensive and
clumsy to add an extra layer of fiction to suffering which demands no
gratuitous intervention. It jars. Faced with the immensity of what
happened, sober reportage and direct testimony have nearly always been
the most powerful approach.

As it happens, David Hare wrote the screenplay for “Denial”. As I will
explain, his decision flowed from some very unusual aspects of the trial
but before that I should give you some background. Since you are
probably aware that Europe has some very stringent laws against
holocaust denial, including a three-year prison term that Irving once
received in Austria in 1992 (he was released after serving one year),
you might assume that it was Irving who was on trial. However,  in this
instance Lipstadt was the defendant. Irving was suing her and Penguin
publishers for libel. Lipstadt’s 1993 “Denying the Holocaust: The
Growing Assault on Truth and Memory” was a scorching rebuttal of Irving
and other deniers, including Robert Faurisson who Noam Chomsky defended
on a free speech basis.

full:
https://louisproyect.org/2016/11/19/denial-david-irving-versus-deborah-lipstadt/