[Marxism] Fwd: Mifune: The Last Samurai; Magnus | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Nov 22 10:32:36 MST 2016

Two documentaries under consideration here are devoted to the careers of
exceptionally talented men. “Mifune: The Last Samurai” that opens at the
IFC Center in New York on Friday is as much a documentary on director
Akira Kurosawa since most of Mifune’s career entailed starring in
Kurosawa’s films such as “Seven Samurai”, “Rashomon”, et al. “Magnus”,
that opened last week at the Village East theater and that unfortunately
I did not have a chance to review until now, will be playing for another
week. It traces the career of Magnus Carlsen, the number one chess
player in the world today and perhaps the greatest ever. With both
Mifune and Carlsen, there’s not much to say about them as human beings
outside of their mastery of their respective crafts. But if you like me
are passionate about film and chess, they offer great pleasure.

full: https://louisproyect.org/2016/11/22/mifune-the-last-samurai-magnus/