[Marxism] Fwd: Rand Wilson’s road to Damascus-like conversion to the Democratic Party | Louis Proyect: The Unrepentant Marxist

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Nov 24 11:01:46 MST 2016

If I was a conspiracy theorist like many on the left, I’d suspect that
the glowing tributes to the fresh-faced Marxism of Bhaskar Sunkara’s
Jacobin Magazine in the bourgeois press are a calculated bid to keep
radicals tied to the Democratic Party. Unlike the musty, grandfatherly
Dissent Magazine that was tainted by the likes of Michael Walzer,
Jacobin was graced by the brash hipster image of Sunkara who was clever
enough not to hide the fact that the seed money for the magazine came
from “hustling away, doing whatever: from selling marijuana to
small-scale bootlegging”. Certainly, if you were in your early 20s and
on the left, that was something you could identify with as opposed to
the magazine that Woody Allen once described as being merged with
Commentary in order to form a new one called Dysentary. Plus, it also
helped to have flashy graphics. If you are going to sell people on the
Democratic Party, it helps to have magazine covers that look like they
were drawn by some Futurist living in Moscow in the early 20s.

full:
https://louisproyect.org/2016/11/24/rand-wilsons-road-to-damascus-like-conversion-to-the-democratic-party/