[Marxism] The true Fidel Castro

Joaquim Gibson joaquim.gibson at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 22:20:06 MST 2016

I have been following this list for at least a year. I continue to learn
from the great information posted here. But now it's time for me to post. I
hope this post is appropriate.

I grew in Florida during the 1970s and 80s. Fidel was a pariah. I would
like to be able to say I challenged this thinking, but I didn't. However I
did think even then that Miami had serious anger management issues and they
just spouted the same tired angry cliches. The Cuba I learned about via my
radio was vastly different from what I was told was fact.

In college, around 1990, I took a course on the Cuban Revolution. It
greatly changed my views not only on Cuba, but about the US's disastrous
history of imperialism. What I learned and remembered dove tails with what
Louis Proyect posted yesterday. <
http://www.columbia.edu/~lnp3/mydocs/state_and_revolution/cuba.htm>

All of this brings me to my question. What books do you recommend about
Fidel and the Cuban Revolution in general? I see many available, but it
seems more than not, they're just anti-Castro pablum.

BTW, Louis, I have now found this page of yours <
http://www.columbia.edu/~lnp3/mypage.htm> which I plan to reference as I
continue my journey left.