[Marxism] further thought

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Sat Oct 1 10:14:18 MDT 2016

On 10/1/16 11:00 AM, Clay Claiborne via Marxism wrote:
> the Green Party is still a white party.

So was the SWP in 1967 with a few exceptions that could be counted by
the fingers on one hand. If I wanted to join a left group where racial
composition was a litmus test, I would have joined the CPUSA that had
lots of Black members including Angela Davis. But sometimes Black people
make mistakes. The CPUSA had a very mixed record on Black liberation.
While being on the front lines of the civil rights movement, it was
hostile to Black nationalism--accusing Malcolm X of dividing the working
class, etc. It also propagandized for supporting Democrats just like
Clay is doing now.

If the Greens have a mostly white membership, it is not because of its
program. For example, Jill Stein favors reparations for slavery as
opposed to Hillary Clinton supporter Adolph Reed, who despite his brief
membership in the Trotskyist movement, argues that the call for
reparations will divide the working class.

Furthermore, the Green Party cannot transform the USA. It is not a
revolutionary party and does not pretend to be one. However, it offers
an opportunity to serve as a framework for Marxists to work together to
advance the class struggle in the same way that the Corbyn-led Labour
Party does. We cannot choose the organizational forms on the basis of
Platonic ideals. You have to work with the material at hand. With that
it mind, supporting the Democratic Party candidates in 2016 would make
me feel irreparably damaged. Clay of course is entitled to his own opinions.