[Marxism] Riad Alarian responds to Max Blumenthal on FB

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Oct 3 12:55:00 MDT 2016

Max Blumenthal, your Alternet article is beyond disappointing and
shameful. I had for long considered you a friend and an ally, but you
have irreparably hurt the Syrian people, and me, with what you've
published here. When Palestinians seek amplification, you rightly
channel their grievances. As Egyptians are wilting-away under Sisi and
his goons, you stand on the side of justice. But do you think that just
because you hold morally conscientious positions on these causes that I
will ignore the fact that you are a sounding board for the Baathist amen
corner in Syria? In the face of Syria's tragedies, you have done nothing
but echo the exact same propaganda against revolutionaries, aid-workers,
and their allies that the likes of Vanessa Beeley and Eva Bartlett
constantly spew. Whether you realize it or not, you have committed a
great injustice. You have contributed to the online compendium of
propaganda against Syrians that continues to provide intellectual cover
for their suffering. There is nothing morally courageous or
intellectually novel about rehashing the exact same nonsense
pro-Baathist outlets like Global Research have been spreading for years,
and which Syrians and their allies in support of the revolution have
been persistently discrediting.

I remember when you quit your job at Al-Akhbar over their pro-Assad
work. What a principled thing to have done. And now look at you. One
step forward, one-hundred steps back.

You talk about the dangers of regime change without taking into
consideration the fact that the Syrian revolution is completely
dependent on regime change, and that the overwhelming majority of
Syrians are in favor of regime change, precisely because of the danger
the continued existence of the status quo poses. You only inspect the
merit of regime change, and the Syrian revolution more generally,
through the prism of US interests. The proximity of the US government's
activities--whether real or imagined--define the extent of your interest
in Syria, and inform your horrendous biases. You speak about the
potential disasters of regime change while you mitigate the severity of
the current disaster on Syrian lives brought about by the continued
existence of that very regime. Hundreds of thousands dead, and you want
to talk about "potential disasters?"

What happened to internationalism? What happened to looking at popular
liberation struggles through the eyes of those who define them? Or are
the only causes worth supporting the secular ones, absent of all the
beardy-weirdy Islamists and "jihadists" you seem to now fear so much?
Just have a look at who is proudly sharing and endorsing your article on
social media. Every single pro-Assad scumbag is lauding your piece with
great enthusiasm. What does that say? More importantly, how should I
interpret your close colleague Rania’s sudden agreeability on Syria with
Max Abrahms, that filthy apologist for Israeli crimes? Or are you now
willing to forget about that because he slanders Syria with the same
fervor as you?

You must remember, Max, that you can never, at any moment or under any
virtual circumstance, ever be anything more than an ally in the
struggles of Arabs and Muslims--and even that designation now seems too
much for you. By virtue of your White, secular, privileged identity, you
will never be a mainstay of our causes no matter how much you desire to.
You are not Palestinian, Syrian, or Arab, and you never will be. We are
the gatekeepers of our causes and narratives, we decide who stays in and
who stays out. Evidently, you have, through this horrendous article of
yours, decided to willingly show yourself out. Good riddance. I swear to
God Almighty and on the honor of Arab and Muslim liberation, when
Palestine and Syria are finally free, your name will go completely
unremembered--you will not have a place among us. I will sip tea on the
shores of Yaffa, prostrate in the abode of Damascus, and take comfort in
the knowledge of your absence.