[Marxism] Riad Alarian responds to Max Blumenthal on FB

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Oct 3 19:40:34 MDT 2016

On 10/3/16 9:21 PM, A.R. G wrote:
> Which Syrians? Do people in Syria read Alternet? Do people in America
> read it for that matter?

I am talking about the Syrian left, or actually the Arab left that is
living in the USA and Great Britain mostly. The kind of people who put
out Muftah, for example. Riad Alarian was a co-founder. Blumenthal
doesn't give a crap about them. Writing articles taking up their cause
is not going to get the attention of the people who put out Salon,
Alternet, Commondreams, or Counterpunch. You have to make a choice if
you are going to make a career out of leftist journalism. I should know.
I was more or less forced to resign from Counterpunch after Jeff St.
Clair refused to publish an article that went against the current.

> Yes, you should call them out, but this sounds like saying we should
> never read anything he writes again on any subject. I think that goes
> too far.

I haven't seen much output from Blumenthal lately. Maybe he got on board
the Assadist train to help his career. He had the gall to Tweet that
being pro-Assad condemned you to being in a beleaguered minority. What
planet is he living on?