[Marxism] Fwd: Fukushima radiation

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Oct 4 06:57:14 MDT 2016

Hi Louis,

I was looking around for articles on radiation from Fukushima disaster
reaching California coast, and found the following. A couple of which
quote a study by Stanford University's Hopkins Marine Station (I would
say this is as authoritative as you can get, and one cites a study
published (May 28, 2012) in the Proceedings of the National Academy of
Sciences:

1) Radioactive Fish Found In California: Contamination From Fukushima
Disaster Still Lingers
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/02/22/radioactive-fish_n_2743899.html

2) Radioactive bluefin tuna crossed Pacific to U.S.
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/radioactive-bluefin-tuna-crossed-pacific-to-us/

3) U.S. Tuna Has Fukushima Taint
http://www.wsj.com/articles/SB10001424052702303395604577432452114613564

4) Fish Transport Fukushima Radiation
http://www.the-scientist.com/?articles.view/articleNo/32139/title/fish-transport-fukushima-radiation/

All these reports are from 2012; only one year after the disaster. You
can only imagine that with four more years of radiation leaking on a
constant basis from the damaged reactors, the level of radiation
contamination in the ocean has increased.

Another important factor is exposure to radiation: being exposed to
radiation is one thing, but ingesting even one molecule of Cesium is
another thing altogether. The half life of Cesium 135 or Cesium 137 is
decades long (35 years or so); which means, for more than three decades,
that one molecule will continue to emit radiation inside the body, which
can in turn cause genetic mutations, and cancers of different kinds.

Best wishes, R.