[Marxism] Clinton on a no-fly zone

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Oct 10 05:30:14 MDT 2016

This came to my attention from a Max Blumenthal tweet that he
interpreted as a call for a no-fly zone:

Speech to Goldman Sachs, 6/4/13:

“So we’re not as good as we used to be, but we still—we can still
deliver, and we should have in my view been trying to do that so we
would have better insight. But the idea that we would have like a no fly
zone—Syria, of course, did have when it started the fourth biggest Army
in the world. It had very sophisticated air defense systems. They’re
getting more sophisticated thanks to Russian imports. To have a no fly
zone you have to take out all of the air defense, many of which are
located in populated areas. So our missiles, even if they are standoff
missiles so we’re not putting our pilots at risk—you’re going to kill a
lot of Syrians. So all of a sudden this intervention that people talk
about so glibly becomes an American and NATO involvement where you take
a lot of civilians.”

Does this sound like a call for a no-fly zone to you? I'd say it is
exactly the opposite. In fact if she had come out and said specifically
that "glib" calls for a no-fly zone that would kill a lot of Syrians was
and constitute a risk to American pilots was against American interests,
the amen corner would have said it meant the opposite. You also have to
wonder why Assange did not supply the full passage. As a loyal Putinite,
he was interested in spinning it as a pro-no fly zone speech when it was
likely not.