[Marxism] Fwd: Liberal IPE as a Colonial Science | naeem inayatullah and David Blaney - Academia.edu

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Oct 11 05:44:51 MDT 2016

Liberal IPE as a Colonial Science

David L. Blaney and Naeem Inayatullah

John Hobson (2012: chapter 9) characterizes the work of contemporary
neoliberal scholars (his example is Robert Keohane’s After Hegemony) in
International Political Economy (IPE) as subliminally paternalistic and
Eurocentric.  In parallel to a more openly Eurocentric liberalism of the
late-19th and early 20th century, agency is located in the West – a West
that promotes open markets and rules of rational cooperation as parts of
a civilizing mission.  However, in contrast with earlier periods, this
message is delivered only implicitly.  The Eurocentric narrative is, in
Hobson’s (2012: 214) terms, “sublimated rather than exorcised.”
Hobson’s indictment of neoliberal IPE is compelling – his documentation
careful and the parallels precise.  But we are left to wonder how
Eurocentrism became sublimated.  Hobson’s (2012: 185) points us to a
“significant epistemic shift” that espouses “positivist principles” and
prescribes “value neutrality.”  Though he points us in the right
direction, we believe he under-theorizes the sublimation at work.  Nor
does he capture how Eurocentrism lurks symptomatically in neoliberal IPE.

full: https://www.academia.edu/28134043/Liberal_IPE_as_a_Colonial_Science