[Marxism] Fwd: Libya Against Itself by Nicolas Pelham | The New York Review of Books

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Tue Oct 11 14:31:48 MDT 2016

The Libyan Revolution and Its Aftermath
edited by Peter Cole and Brian McQuinn
Oxford University Press, 416 pp., $49.95

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/2015/02/19/libya-against-itself/

I'm reading this now to help me prepare the first thing I have written
about Libya since 2012.

This is a critical book for understanding Libya's past and why the
revolution was abortive. (Although by comparison to Syria, it is a
paradise.)

It is a collection of articles about different aspects of Libyan
society, history and politics. The one I am reading now is about the
importance of Misrata brigades. It turns out that the city supplied the
front line fighters against Mussolini's invasion in 1921. Four years
earlier the republic of Tripolitania was founded, the first autonomous
and democratic state in the Middle East and North Africa. In the
invasion of Libya that lasted until 1931, almost HALF of Libya's
population perished as a result of mass executions and the internment of
Cyrenaica's (eastern region) population in camps with poor sanitation
and water.