[Marxism] White Trash: The 400-Year Untold History of Class in America

Mark Lause markalause at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 15:01:58 MDT 2016

I've frankly just flitted through it so far but will hit it more seriously
when I have time.  Whenever we're dealing with something that calls itself
a "cultural history," we often find ourselves with a collage of bits and
bobs that happen to interest the author--and wind up pondering why some
things are in the book and others are not.  This is particularly hinted at
the breadth of the book--400 years on the largest ethnic group in a massive
country is a lot to pack between any set of covers..

Most ominously, I can't see a single reference in the index to the
Greenback or Populist parties, which won elections in the South because of
their ability to establish, however briefly, a sufficient interracial sense
of solidarity.

ML