[Marxism] Paul Larudee - petition on Syria

Ken Hiebert knhiebert at shaw.ca
Thu Oct 13 09:03:58 MDT 2016

From: PAUL LARUDEE <larudee at pacbell.net>
Date: 11 October 2016 at 17:35
Subject: This petition on Syria will launch on Friday. Shall we add your name?
To: Paul Larudee <larudee at pacbell.net>

Please forgive the anonymity of the addressees.  There are only around fifteen, but I want to respect your privacy.

The petition below will launch on Friday, October 14.  It has been drafted and approved by the United National Antiwar Coalition, U.S. Peace Council, Veterans For Peace, UNAC, the Syria Solidarity Movement and others (Including you, if you accept), whose names (either as individuals or institutions or both) will appear on the initial petition.  The petition will then be open for anyone to sign, but we wish to have a starting list to inspire others to join.

Please let me know if you wish to be part of the initial petition, and if you have other suggestions, please forward and let me know.

Thanks and in solidarity,

Paul Larudee
510 232 2500

U.S. HANDS OFF SYRIA COALITION
Points of Unity
We the undersigned organizations and individuals endorse the following Points of Unity and, on the basis of these points, agree to work together in the National Hands Off Syria Coalition to help put an end to the illegal intervention by the United States, NATO and their regional allies and the killing of innocent people in Syria.
1.     In essence, the war in Syria is the result of a U.S.-orchestrated intervention by the United States, NATO, their regional allies and reactionary forces, the goal of which is an illegal regime change in Syria.
2.     War and U.S. and EU sanctions have destabilized every sector of Syria’s economy, transforming a once self-sufficient country into an aid-dependent nation. Half the Syrian population is now displaced. A UN ESCWA report reveals these U.S. sanctions on Syria are crippling aid work during one of the largest humanitarian emergency since World War II. The one third of Syrians refugees in surrounding Jordan, Lebanon and Turkey have been hit hard by U.S. cuts to UNICEF. This forces desperate refugees to struggle to reach Europe.
3.     This policy of regime change in Syria is in clear violation of the United Nations Charter, the letter and spirit of international law and the Universal Declaration of Human Rights.
4.     This policy of forced regime change is threatening the security of the region and the world and has increased the danger of direct confrontation between the United States and Russia, with the potential of a nuclear catastrophe for the whole world.
5.     No foreign entity, be it a foreign government or an armed group, has the right to violate the fundamental rights of the Syrian people to independence, national sovereignty and self-determination. This includes the right of the Syrian government to request and accept military assistance from other countries, as even the U.S. government has admitted. *
6.     Only the people of Syria have the inalienable right to choose their leaders and determine the character of their government, free from foreign intervention. This right cannot be properly exercised under the conditions of U.S.-orchestrated foreign intervention and terrorism against the Syrian people.
7.     Our opposition to forced regime change in Syria by U.S.-backed foreign powers and their mercenaries does not imply support for the present Syrian government or President Assad. It is not our business to support or oppose President Assad or the Syrian government. Only the Syrian people have the right to decide the legitimacy of their government.
8.     The most urgent issue at present is putting an end to the illegal foreign intervention and terrorism that has resulted in the deaths of hundreds of thousands of people and the displacement of millions of Syrians both internally or as refugees abroad.

Based on these Points of Unity, we, as individual and organizational members of the National Hands Off Syria Coalition, agree on the following demands and commit ourselves to working together to help achieve them:
1.     An immediate end to all illegal foreign military operations in Syria.
2.     An immediate end to the illegal U.S. policy of forced regime change in Syria and full recognition and compliance by the U.S., NATO and their allies with principles of international law and the U.N. Charter, including respect for the independence and territorial integrity of Syria.
3.     The immediate removal of all invading foreign forces from the internationally recognized territory of Syria.
4.     An immediate end to all military, financial, logistical and intelligence support by the U.S., NATO and their regional allies to all foreign mercenaries and extremists in the Middle East region.
5.    An immediate end to economic sanctions against Syria.

Only in a peaceful and independent Syria, free of foreign aggression, can the people of Syria freely exercise their sovereign rights, express their free will and make free choices about their government and their country’s leadership.
We invite all supporters of peace and peoples’ right to self-determination around the world to join hands of cooperation in this coalition to achieve these most humanitarian demands.
We need jobs, healthcare, education and an end to racist police violence here at home, not U.S. wars abroad!!